Covering genealogy, family history, historical events and places, and anything else related!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

NGS 2015: Day 4

This week has flown by! I started the day off with Patricia Walls Stamm's lecture "Railroads and Their Records." Some of my relatives worked for railroads (including my great-great-grandfather's brother Jesse Tarkington, who was killed in a train accident in 1909); hopefully I will be able to locate additional information on them. I then went to Billie Stone Fogarty's session "The Homestead Act & Land Entry Files." Some of my ancestors and collateral relatives obtained land through the Homestead Act. I then attended Craig Roberts Scott's presentation "Civil War Prisoner of War Records." My 3rd-great-grandfather's brother John G. Gatlin was a prisoner of war at Rock Island Barracks. Next, I attended the NGS luncheon, where Jan Alpert spoke on "Have You Tested Your DNA? Is There a Non-Paternity Event in Your Family?" After lunch, I attended Vic Dunn's lecture on indirect evidence. Finally, I heard Craig Roberts Scott speak again, this time on researching ancestors in the War of 1812. So far I have identified three ancestors who participated in the War of 1812, as well as the brother of an ancestor. After the conference, I met up with some of the other Geneabloggers at Hendricks BBQ.

I will head home tomorrow. It has been a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment