Covering genealogy, family history, historical events and places, and anything else related!

Friday, April 17, 2015

Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940

The records of the Evangelican Lutheran Church of America, 1875-1940, are now available on Ancestry.com. This is great news for me, because I have many Swedish and Norwegian ancestors who attended Lutheran churches. The records have been available on Archives.com for a couple of years, but I could never figure out a way to search only that collection, or to browse images without first doing a search and viewing a record. Since Scandinavians may be listed under patronymics or surnames (in the case of Norwegians, they often used the name of their farm in Norway), and there are so many people with the same patronymics, it is useful to be able to browse the records for areas where ancestral families lived. I know that this collection contains records for some of my Norwegian relatives in Minnesota. I hope to be able to find more records.

No comments:

Post a Comment