Covering genealogy, family history, historical events and places, and anything else related!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tuesday's Tip: Cemetery Web Sites

When searching for information on your ancestors, it is worthwhile to check the Web sites of the cemeteries that they are buried in. Sometimes they contain useful information.

The Web site of Calvary Cemetery in Nashville, Tennessee has a burial lookup feature. The information provided included the date of burial, the location of the burial plot, and whether the person was a veteran. Until I searched this Web site, I did not know when my 3rd-great-grandmother's second husband John Cox had died, since his name is so common and I did not know much about him. There are two men named John Cox who were buried in Calvary Cemetery, within two years of each other, but I knew which was the right person because only one was buried in the same plot as my 3rd-great-grandmother.

The Web site of Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati, Ohio has even more information. Members of my aunt's family are buried there. The Web site has a genealogy search section which can be searched by name or location. When you get a list of search results, you can click on a person's name and you will see a PDF of the burial card for that person. The cards include information such as age at death, place of birth, place of death (street address), last  residence, date of death, date and time of burial, location of grave, cause of death, parents' names, name of the burial plot owner, and relationship of the deceased to the burial plot owner. When I found the burial card for my aunt's great-grandmother Mary Jane (Lewis) Oliver, I learned that her mother's maiden name was Spooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment