Covering genealogy, family history, historical events and places, and anything else related!

Friday, May 15, 2015

NGS 2015: Day 3

I began Day 3 with Alison Hare's lecture "The Time of Cholera," a fascinating case study of a London neighborhood during the 1854 cholera outbreak. Next, I heard Elizabeth Shown Mills' presentation "The Problem Solver's Great Trifecta: GPS + Fan + DNA"; she explained how she proved 4 generations in a female line without any documents that identified parents or siblings. That is an impressive accomplishment! I then attended Thomas W. Jones' lecture "When Does Newfound Evidence Overturned a Proved Conclusion?" I also finally met my friend Maddie in person. I then went to the FGS luncheon "Lincoln Lives," where Curt B. Witcher spoke about the Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection. After lunch, I heard Mary Stansfield speak about Missouri State Penitentiary and Algoa Intermediate Reformatory records. With all the black sheep in my family, I couldn't miss the prison records lecture! I also couldn't miss Elaine Helgeson Hasleton's talk "Scandinavians in the Midwest," since I am more than a third Scandinavian (equal amounts Swedish and Norwegian). In the evening, I attended the National Genealogical Society Banquet. It was a long and busy day, but a good one. The conference is going by so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment