Covering genealogy, family history, historical events and places, and anything else related!

Monday, January 7, 2019

52 Ancestors: Week 1 "First": Godfrey Spruill

My 9th-great-grandfather Godfrey Spruill was the first doctor in North Carolina. He was born about 1650, and received a land patent in James City County, Virginia on 31 October 1684. By 1694, he was living in North Carolina, and he was practicing medicine in Edenton by 1702.

Dillard, Richard. "Some Early Physicians of the Albemarle." The North Carolina Booklet, pp. 17-18. North Carolina Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, July 1911.

Godfrey and his wife Joanna had the following children:
  • Samuel (my 8th-great-grandfather), who married (1) Elizabeth Swain (my 8th-great-grandmother) and (2) Mary
  • Godfrey
  • Joseph
  • Susannah, who married Cuthbert Phelps
  • Anna Margaritta, who married (1) James Stuart and (2) Samuel Boutwell
  • Mary

Sources:
Godfrey Spruill - Wikipedia
Godfrey Spruill - Bagwells.com
Godfrey Spruill, 1694 NC
Re: Godfrey Spruill, 1694 NC
The North Carolina Booklet

4 comments:

  1. So interesting and crazy to see how spread out a families lineage can become. Dr. Godfrey Spruill is also my 9th great grandfather. I'm from his son Joseph's line. Located in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is my 8 times great grandfather. I am off Joseph’s line as well. I grew up at The Albermarle sound where he lived and died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am from Samuel Spruill’s line. I grew up in Creswell

      Delete