Covering genealogy, family history, historical events and places, and anything else related!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My Uncle and Cousin Whose Trains Collided

At 7:48 AM on 15 September 1909, Passenger Train No. 4 and Freight Train No. 51 collided about one mile west of Pegram's Station, Cheatham County, Tennessee. My 2nd-great-grandfather's brother Jesse Tarkington was the engineer on Freight Train No. 51.  Joseph Greener Gower, my second cousin 4 times removed, was the engineer on Passenger Train No. 4. They were both killed in the accident. Although I am related to both men, as far as I know they are not related to each other.

 Nashville American, 16 September 1909, page 7

Nashville American, 16 September 1909, page 5

I found an article about the accident which includes photos of both men. (N. C. & St. L. Trains Together Head-On. Nashville American, 16 Sep 1909, pp. 5, 7, 15.) I am glad that I am now able to put faces with the names.

2 comments:

  1. Another great story Beth! Unreal that you found photos of both Jesse and Joseph. Marsha F

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a way to find family photos. Amazing that you are related to both men.

    ReplyDelete